06 November 2007

Les Reliques de la Mort!



I got to get HARRY POTTER today!!!! I finally got paid on Thursday, I got a check and everything (even though the whole ordeal with the bank account was so that I would have direct deposit...) so now I can be all fancy and French-like when I buy things with a bank card. It's kinda cool...

I feel like I have nothing to tell, hence the lack of blogging over the past week or so. It's been weird, I'm kind of getting to the stage where the things I brought from home are running out, I've had to get all sorts of things like toothpaste, floss (that was an adventure...I got some from Monoprix but it was horrible, no wax or anything. I had to go to a pharmacy to get waxed floss, and it cost 4 euro!), band-aids (also ridiculously expensive, I guess the French don't get hurt...I'll have a really nice scar to show everyone when I'm home, by the way...)...I'm dreading the time when the choice of what shampoo to get arises. I guess this all might sound kind of lame, but for me, every time something runs out, it's a new adventure of where to go, what to get, and the fact that there's no Crest toothpaste in France. Today I had a nice time walking around my neighborhood, trying to find some things like a pencil sharpener, and I ended up finding a cool organic/fair trade store where the lady gave me some kind of disgusting tasting drink (Guarana cocktail...) that apparently helps you focus and is good for diplomacy, and I ended up getting some coffee (of course) and some nice spices (cinnamon sticks and cloves...I'm going to make mulled wine and it's going to be amazing...). I also went into a random bookstore that had a lot of neat books on religion but the guy told me (in a not very nice sort of way) to be careful of my backpack, and then he watched me the entire time to make sure I didn't break anything. I glared at him on the way out. I tried to make French bread pizza for dinner, but without an oven it didn't really work. I can use my microwave to make gratins, or something (there was metal in there and nothing blew up!) but it just made the bread chewey and got cheese everywhere. I tried to make the other half in the pan on the stove and I just burnt the bottom of the bread. Sigh. Luckily I have Harry tonight.

This weekend was fun, Amy came up again from Vierzon, on Saturday we went to the Indian neighborhood (which is really only one street long) and had really fantastic food, and then we went to a grocery store where I got some henna! Anne met up with us, we walked aaaallllll over the place for a while and ended up going back to Anne's for dinner, and then we went out for drinks afterward. We were talking about Americans with accents in French, and Anne was saying that neither of us have distinctly American accents, but that we sound like some kind of foreigner, or maybe a French person with a malformed mouth. Which I guess is a compliment... :-) It was pretty hilarious. On Sunday Amy and I just hung out, I did my henna and we made a huge dinner, and we watched Umrao Jaan (Bollywood movie, of course). She left on Monday, and I went to the library to do a bunch of good research. I even bought a copy card so that I can make copies when I go...I feel so cool.

I forgot about last Wednesday, I went out (ooo!) with a bunch of kids from my European studies classes. It was mostly French kids, and two Finnish girls (one named Tytti, who I'm going to be doing a little project with on Kalevala for the next class!) and a Polish girl. It was really fun, some random dude on the street gave one of the guys 50 euro so he bought us all drinks. It was cool to hang out with French kids (finally) and I talked with one guy, Raoul, for a really long time about the classes and our professor who never talks about slavery, only the end of it, and who also talks a lot about the end of colonialism...he was glad to know there was someone else who notices and has a problem with how this professor talks about some stuff. Oh, and Raoul grew up in Creteil, he knows where my colleges are, how weird is that? I guess it's actually not that weird, he'slived here his whole life...Anyway there is/was some potential for us going out again tomorrow but I haven't heard from anyone so I'm not entirely sure what's happening, but I will be hanging out with Tytti and working on this project.

Tomorrow I have class again, but only in the morning...I have Grammaire du Texte, and then lunch with Cecile and Cory. I have to work again Thursday and Friday (sigh...) but then I get to see Anne's parents and Faima on Saturday! Then next weekend I'm going to Le Mans to visit my penpal, evidently there are going to be strikes again so we'll see if that even happens. As much as I like strikes, I REALLY want to go to Le Mans, so I kind of hope it doesn't happen! Sorry, SCNF workers!

Sorry about the brightness of the picture, I just wanted to show off my hair and my Harry!!

No comments: