13 January 2008

Mais c'est un sac, quand meme, c'est gratuit!

Oh yeah, and Bonne Annee!

I've been back in France for a week now, and it sort of feels like I haven't been gone at all (maybe partially because Christmas break seemed like it was about 2 days long...). The day after I got back, I started working again, and the day after I started class again. I've got three classes to finish out, two of which will be having exams and then one with a presentation and final paper. I went over to Creteil university last Thursday, and the woman who works with exchanges there is really nice and HELPFUL (something the people at Censier really weren't, ever), so hopefully this week I'll get to start registering and everything for that.

On Friday I saw Sasha in the morning, which was nice, and then I went to the library for like 4 hours to do research for my paper. Afterward I went to see Anne and Greg, and then we went to see some of their friends. It kind of sucked, because it was 3 couples and me, and I guess Greg knew the guys from growing up, but I kind of missed out on the 'how everyone knows everyone' thing and 'what are you doing with your life thing,' so it was not really possible to get involved in their conversations at all...plus they use all kinds of youth slangy words that eventually I just can't follow. So I kind of gave up trying to participate in their conversations...then we almost missed the last metro back, and they lived across town. Anyway I was pretty happy to get back, though then it was 3 a.m. and I couldn't sleep, I'm not really sure why. Either way, Saturday was nice and fairly productive, Cory came over to watch Once and I got out of going to the Sales at la Defense with Faima (who was insisting on having lunch at McDonalds at 11 a.m., so I just said that I had too much work. Lame excuse, but honestly I don't need anything, and I don't really want to go shopping with the entire population of Paris and its suburbs on a Saturday morning...

Sunday was great, I went to the market in the morning with the intention of getting some cheese, some bread, some pita and some grapefruit...I came back with a half kilo of cherries, a kilo of apples, three grapefruits, two kinds of cheese, hummos and pita, mint leaves, and a half a baguette. Oh, and a huge cloth bag with the name of the market on the side, I thought I had to buy it but the guy just gave it to me...hence the title of the blog. I always go there to get one or two things and come back with so much more, but it's so cheap and so delicious that it's always worth it.

Then I went over to Mme Philippeau's (one of the English teachers at Louis Issaurat) to celebrate la galette des rois (where they eat king cake, which is a pastry filled with marzipan, and there's a bean hidden inside and whoever gets the bean is the king or queen and has to choose their queen or king. We actually did it at Louis Issaurat on Thursday and I got a bean and a lovely Star Wars crown, but luckily I didn't have to choose a king!!!). Anyway her father was there, he's 83 and totally French, I had lots of fun talking with him. Aude from Louis Issaurat and her boyfriend Jean-Christophe came, too. Aude and Mme Philippeau got the beans, (there were two cakes mixed together so two beans) and we drank really good cider from Bretagne. It was really a nice time, it was so nice of her to invite me there. Her house is awesome, too, it's got a great garden and awesome art and books everywhere.

Afterward, I went to the movies with Adam, a guy from my European studies classes (he's Polish, studying in France for a while, going to the US next year for a study abroad) and we were going to see Into the Wild but it had already started when we got there, so we went to see Atonement instead, which I really liked, though it really wasn't what I expected. I guess I didn't actually know what the story was about, but anyway it was really well done and the acting was fantastic.

Today is just working, seeing Anne and Jean-Francois and Verena later and going to the avant premiere of Juno at Censier! Yay!

No comments: