12 September 2007

Ce sot a laissé tomber le sceau dans le seau...



Oh, French homonyms, dictionary fun, whatever. Amazing. Today was my first foray into North African wine - apparently it's a real industry, are they allowed? - and it was interesting, it doesn't taste at all like French wine, or any other red wine I've had, but I'm not sure I can describe it. The past few days have been filled up with French class and lots of homework; tonight was the first time we haven't had any writing. I should probably be getting ahead and trying to find some idea of what I'm going to write for Friday's class, but I thought I'd take it easy and write a letter instead. It's only 10:30 and I'm already tired - I guess that's what happens when you just walk everywhere...

Anyway, class has been good, I really, really like my professor, Michelle Le Coadic. I'm actually going to take another of her classes during the first semester, it's a MICEFA class called 'Grammaire du texte,' which is about how to format a paper in the French style and about writing for French universities. I think it'll be really useful since I'm staying for the whole year. I found out today that Cecile also wants to take it, which is cool. The French class has been interesting, too, because it's a lot of grammar that I never learned, so it's stuff I can recognize but not really use properly. I think it's pretty helpful, I already keep using things I've learned!

Yesterday morning we went to this theater 'spectacle' thing near the Opera Garnier (which is unfortunately under construction, so it's really only half-picturesque), it's hard to describe but it was a very quick history about Paris with explanations about the architecture and style of the city as well as lots of good music. A lot of it was what I learned in my French class last semester, but it was still really neat. Afterward I got to hang out with Elly for a while before class, we got some excellent strawberries from a random market and sat around at the Place de la Concorde. (the picture with the statue is the Opera; the dome I think is the Val de Grace, I'm not sure exactly what that means, but I randomly came across it the other day before my MICEFA meeting!)

Tomorrow Anne's coming back! I'm going to meet her at the train station after my class. I'm so excited! And Sasha's coming next week, on Monday, and I think my friend Amy from AU (who's a TA in the Centre region, not far from Orleans) is coming either next week or the next week. Also, we're supposed to be able to find out what classes we can take sometime next week, I'm excited! Things are seeming to go smoothly, so cross your fingers...I'm even going to be able to take the Finnish class I want! Hopefully next week I'll also go to Creteil to meet with my teachers to talk about my schedule.

I guess that'll be all for now, I feel like I'm settling in to a schedule and a bus route and feeling even more at ease speaking French...so tout va bien!!! A plus!

No comments: